Monday, August 28, 2017

Week 33: Wow! Sounds like a lot is going on!

Aug 28, 2017


Hey guys,
Well your week sounds like it has been really busy. Probably a little bit more busy than over here in Cumbernauld. So to bring you up to speed on my new companion. His name is Elder Bain. He is from Bountiful, Utah. He has been out for a year and is a huge U of U fan. He is a fantastic missionary though. He works very hard. Which is really great to have in a companion.
Anyway, this week has been good. We were able to visit with John again this week. We taught him the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a very good lesson. He seemed to learn a lot and felt the Spirit. We have also been chapping quite a bit. Which reminds me, there was this one lady who we chapped, her name is Caroline, and we told her who we are as missionaries and the message that we are sharing and she was amazed that as missionaries we go out for two whole years to a foreign country to be missionaries. She then told us that we must miss home and gave us a bag of chocolate biscuits and crisps (biscuits over here are similar to twix bars). She was a very kind lady. She wasn't that interested in our message but told us to come back if we needed anything. ( Don't worry Mom I am not too homesick. Cumbernauld reminds me of northern Minnesota a lot which is kind of close to home.)
It was very cool to hear that you were able to see the solar eclipse. If there was one in Cumbernauld I don't think anyone would notice. Haha.
So I do not really have a new Scottish phrase that I learned this week but the accent is getting easier to understand. Hopefully I'll pick one up next week. However, hardly anyone says 'yes' over here. Almost everyone just says 'aye'.
Well I know you had a few questions for me so I will try to answer them as best I can.
I haven't rode bikes in Scotland yet. Elder Bain and I take a bus or walk everywhere. I did ride bikes in Waterford with Elder Plewe. We would ride them to go to the church or to go chapping somewhere that was a ways away. There are bicycle lanes in the street like the ones back home which is nice. There are some areas that have bikes, like Waterford, but Cumbernauld has a very weird layout. I've heard it is one of the weirdest layouts in the mission. So it isn't as easy to ride bikes here. It's better to walk or take the bus. I will try to get a selfie for next week.
Both Elder Bain and I take turns cooking. There is no junior/senior companionship in the mission. President Donaldson likes having everyone special assignment so each missionary has the same responsibility in the companionship.
A typical p-day consists of us shopping at 8am, emailing, and then going to Glasgow or staying in Cumbernauld. We do not always go to Glasgow but we go there quite a bit because there is not much to do in Cumbernauld.
So in Cumbernauld we get fed anywhere from about one to three dinner appointments a week.
 Well, it has been great reading your emails and getting to email you .
Love,
Elder Calley
I took a picture of this building last p-day from a museum and thought it was interesting but true