Monday, August 28, 2017

Week 31: Last week before moves

Aug 14, 2017



Hey everyone!

This week has been interesting. It has been raining all the time and is pretty dreich today. This week Elder Udy and I went on exchanges last Wednesday. I was with our district leader Elder Baklan. He's a really good missionary that works hard.

We've also been able to visit with Gordon who is an excommunicated member and were able to have a good lesson with him about how to have the Holy Ghost in our lives. He has been saying that he wants to come back to church but will sometimes question himself last minute. However, this week we got him to come to church. We also visited with James Cowie this week. He's a less active who says he wants to start coming back to church. However, he is in his early sixties I think and wasn't able to come to church yesterday because of some health issues. We were not able to visit with John this week because he is away on holiday but will be back by the end of this week. We don't go to members homes too often because the ward is small but we get fed by John about twice a week when we visit with him and maybe one other time by the members. So we get fed quite a bit over here.

This is Elder Udy's last week before he goes home as well. He is looking forward going home to Texas although he is originally from New York. He leaves on Saturday to head to the mission home and I will not pick up my new companion until sometime on Monday, so I might not be able to email you guys until next Tuesday. So as I was reading my emails this morning I saw that Dion, one of Elder Plewe and mine investigators got baptised! I've also heard that his family is now going to church as well.

So one Scottish word I learned this week is "nae bother" which is the Scottish equivalent of no problem.

Anyways, the YM here in Cumbernauld is nonexistent. There aren't any YM here but will be by the end of the year. There are about 5-6 YW though. Usually on P-day we will go to Glasgow but last P-day we went to Airdrie to get together with the other elders in our district, Elder Baklan and Elder Karlsson. We had a barbecue outside the church and played some table tennis afterwards. Every church building in Scotland and most of them in Ireland have a ping pong table. They don't have any basketball hoops though. The number one thing I miss about Ireland is the people. The Irish are pretty polite and are somewhat laid back. Ireland is also called the Emerald Isle because every part of it except the hills is green. However, Scotland has great people as well. They love to crack jokes over here and have a laugh. Scotland is a bit cleaner than Ireland as well. It isn't as green as Ireland but sure rains the same amount. Haha.

Well, I love you guys, hope you are enjoying the last few weeks of summer!

Elder Calley

Oh yeah, by the way Mom I forgot to answer your questions. So I don't think we have bikes in Cumbernauld, so we don't ride them. Elder Plewe and I rode bikes a lot in Waterford though. When I cook I usually make pasta but sometimes I will cook burgers or Scottish pies. Scottish pies are essentially like the chicken pot pies you make except it is filled with ground beef instead of chicken and vegetables. We email from the library because the church only has one computer however, I don't really print of your guys emails because it costs to print here. However, I do read them and look back at them and I do really appreciate your guys emails that you send me each week. By the way I forgot to take pictures this last week. Sorry Mom, I'll take some this week.