Saturday, December 9, 2017

Week 45: Hmmm... Cumbernauldians probably would work

Nov. 20, 2017

Hey guys!   

This week has been great! So my companion is Elder Hoaldridge from Provo, Utah. He's a really good missionary for only have been out for a week. Scotland was one of the places he really wanted to go on his mission. He has an aunt that lives in Glasgow. He is a good worker, 19, straight out of high school, he loves basketball, we try to exercise every morning, doing push-ups, sit-ups, planks, etc. He is loving it here in Cumbernauld but he is a little bit homesick. He couldn't wait to email this week.

So as far as training goes. It's fun. Elder Hoaldridge is amazing! He is ready to work and loves to talk with people. Trainers are generally with their greenie for two transfers but sometimes they only half train. It's about a fifty fifty chance.

So I know you guys probably want a picture of me and Elder Hoaldridge so here's one of us waiting at the bus station.

Anyways, we have been doing a lot of finding this week but we chapped into a guy named Kieran. He's 17, goes to the college here in Cumbernauld, and was willing to meet up with us. We were able to walk with him to the church and give him a church tour and teach him more about the Restoration. We invited him to baptism and he said if he comes to know it's true he would. He said he was going to come to church yesterday but wasn't able to make it. It was really really cold yesterday morning though. The frost was thick enough that it looked like it had snowed. It was also very icy. We had to go and put grit out in the parking lot so that no one would slip. 

So one Scottish word I learned this week is braw. It means fine or pleasant. So for example if it is a braw day out today then the sun would be shining and it would be warm out. Today is not a braw day though. It's gotten colder lately but there are definitely a lot of Christmas lights that are going up in Cumbernauld. I haven't seen anyone put Christmas lights on their house but they have quite a few in the shopping centre here. 

I am so grateful to be able to be out here in Cumbernauld to share the gospel with others. I have been able to see the changes that it has made in me and am grateful for what the gospel of Jesus Christ can do to help others. 

I love you guys a lot,
Elder Calley


So long story short. They had gummies at the mission home in a jar for missionaries to take and knowing me I took a pack but I guess they call them fruit jellies here.


Here's a picture of the shopping mall and town centre in Cumbernauld.

We were walking back to our flat one night and we came across a YMCA. I didn't know they had them over here but I guess so. It reminded me of all the fun activities we had there with the young men.