Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Week 86: Back to Ireland

Sept. 3, 2018

Hey guys!

So this week was kind of crazy. So there were some e-moves in the mission and I got moved from Motherwell to Mullingar. I'm also no longer with Elder Kilgour and my new companion is Elder Statie (it's pronounced Stotsy though) and he is from a small island in the Carribean called Bonaire just off the coast from Venezuala. He's been in the mission for about a week now and is really funny.

My last week in Motherwell was good. I said goodbye to everyone and we taught William about ministering and what a ministering appointment consists of. It was interesting because the last Sunday I was there the third hour lesson was on ministering but we got asked to do something for sharing time in primary and so we walked in late and I thought the lesson at first was on member missionary work. I guess it just goes to show that ministering is very similar to missionary work except instead of teaching non-members you visit members.

So a little bit more about Mullingar. It's a town of about 20,000 people right in the middle of Ireland. They have a branch here that averages about 40 people a week and that's about all I know so far. I didn't get here until late Saturday night so we got to meet the branch yesterday. They all seem very nice. It's been interesting finding where everything is since we're whitewashing but I'm sure it'll be an adventure this week.

In my personal studies this week I've been studying the end of Jacob, Enos, Jarom, and Omni and it's pretty interesting to see their different experiences they had with teaching the people. Each of them had some form of apostasy occurring during their time whether it was on a larger scale or within themselves. Both Jacob and Enos turned to prayer before they were able to help others or themselves come closer to God. It was just a really good reminder for me that no matter the situation we can always turn to our Heavenly Father when we are faced with a situation where we don't know what to do and He can help us to know how we can best face our situations.

By the way here's my last Scottish word for a while. Apparently if you say to someone that they're grassing you then it means they're lying to you. I hadn't heard that word used before like that so I'm pretty sure it's a Scottish phrase/word.

I love you guys! Have a great week!!!

Elder Calley