Monday, October 2, 2017

Week 36: Half-way through September


Sep 18, 2017
Hey guys, so this week has been surprisingly pretty dry. It has hardly rained at all this week which has been nice. We were on exchanges quite a bit this week. We were in Airdrie for exchanges with the district leader, Elder Baklan on Wednesday, and were in Glasgow on exchanges with the zone leaders on Friday. It is interesting to be in a different area even if it is only for a day. Airdrie is a smaller town. It's about 35,000 people. The ward there is about 60-80 though every Sunday. Glasgow however is just huge. It is a pretty big city. There are endless places to find. I was with Elder Wang for the day. He is a convert from Beijing. They have quite a few Chinese speaking Elders in Glasgow because there are a lot of people who come over to university here. They also have two wards in Glasgow and they are both good sized.

We also taught John and Gordon this week. We had a really good lesson with Gordon. We essentially came in and sat down and listened to his concerns and within five minutes he had solved them himself. At the end of the lesson, he said that he knew that the church was true and that he should probably start attending regularly. That was a really cool moment because he has been waffling back and forth between attending a born again church in Glasgow and the church here in Cumbernauld.

So yesterday, I had to give a last minute talk on family home evening. Because it was last minute, I mainly just shared a lot of personal experiences. I realized that I have some pretty good experiences of FHE.

Wow, I can't believe that you guys fly over the pond on Friday. It's a long flight.   That's interesting that the French seem to dress nicer than Americans. I would say that Scotland and Ireland dress about the same as back home.

So the Scottish word for the week is 'ken'. Instead of saying know most people just say ken. For example instead of saying I don't know they would say 'I donnae ken'.

By the way the new shoes are holding up. They are water proof and definitely should survive the wet weather. So usually for zone conference all of the missionaries in Scotland will gather together so it’s about an hundred missionaries. I would say about 8-10 missionaries get together in Glasgow on P-days though. I haven't gotten called to play piano at church yet in Cumbernauld and when it comes to zone conferences, there is always someone else who is assigned to do it.


By the way, every Saturday we always go and do service in this garden with John and some other elderly people. I thought I would include a picture of it.

We did talk to a lot of Chinese people. Sadly, that Chinese class I took in middle school didn't help at all. We've been better at exercising this week. . Hope you have a great week too!

Well, I hope you guys have a safe trip. I love you guys.

Elder Calley