Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Week 56: Staying in Sligo!


February 5, 2018

So I'm staying in Sligo for another six weeks which is good. Elder Derry is still my companion and I can no longer drive but Elder Derry can. This transfer actually runs until St. Patrick's day so I'm sure I'll get to see all of the Irish flags and festivities going up. Sligo is a pretty small town. Only 20,000 live here so we do see a lot of the same people on the street. It's good though, I love it here in Sligo. We're always able to talk to new people. Sligo has an I.T. so we talk to a lot of the students who go there. They seem to be a little bit more open than the older generation here in Ireland. The older generation tends to be the ones that still go to mass and are devoted catholics. The younger the generation is the more likely it is that they don't have faith in God or go to church.

That's cool that you guys got to go to the Sparta Branch. It sounds a lot like the branch here in Sligo. The branch here is smaller but there is a lot of love. Everyone watches out for and makes sure everyone is doing okay even though a lot of the members live about 20-30 minutes from the church. There are quite a few members who are from Nigeria and a couple from the Philippines so it's pretty diverse. We had a lot of good testimonies yesterday at church.

We taught a guy named Liem on Tuesday. We found him chapping in some of the student housing by the I.T. He's catholic but doesn't really know if there is a God. We taught him the restoration and invited him to pray about the Book of Mormon. He's willing to get baptised when he gets an answer to his prayers. We're hoping to meet with him again on Tuesday.

Well I haven't had any cabbage and corned beef yet but everyone says it's a very traditional Irish food. Almost every dish here has potatoes in it or with it as well. Speaking of Irish things. I learned a new Irish word, "fáilte" which means welcome.

I love you guys. I am grateful to be serving the Lord here in Sligo.
Love,

Elder Calley